|PURPOSE STATEMENT: Promote, encourage and enable churches and individuals in the Primitive Methodist Denomination to fulfill the Great Commission worldwide.
SECTION I - ORGANIZATION OF THE INTERNATIONAL MISSION BOARD
A. The Annual Conference shall elect an International Mission Board consisting of no less than six (6) members, one from each district (either clergy or lay persons). Three additional at large members may be elected consisting of individuals who have demonstrated or indicated an interest in and commitment to international missions.
1. The superintendent of Women’s Ministries shall be a member of the board.
2. IMB members shall be elected to six (6) year terms.
3. Any vacancies midterm shall be filled in the following manner: The president of IMB, in consultation with the Executive Committee of IMB, shall have the power to appoint another person to fill the vacancy until the following Annual Conference. If the vacancy occurs at the end of the Conference year, the Nominating Committee, with IMB advisement, will recommend to the Annual Conference the name of a suitable candidate to fill the unexpired term caused by the resignation.
4. The President of the Annual Conference is an ex-officio member with voice and vote.
5. Any IMB member who has a relative serving as a missionary shall be excused from discussion concerning his/her relative.
B. The IMB shall meet at least twice a year in a place designated by IMB, or by the Executive Committee of IMB. The Executive Committee shall be composed of the IMB
President, General Director, Recording Secretary, and Treasurer. Additional meetings shall be called by the Executive Committee.
C. The IMB shall have the supervision of all International mission work determined by the Annual Conference; the selection, commissioning, and dispersing of funds of missionaries; the
raising of funds; publication of literature; the acquisition, purchase or receipt by gift or bequest of real estate or personal property; to hold, sell, or dispose of property; the promotion of IMB interests both within and without the denomination.
The IMB will not purchase property in a country outside the U.S.A. but may assist in the purchase of property to support the growth of the ministry.
D. The IMB shall explore the possibilities of opening new work, or assuming control of established work. A formal plan shall be drafted and presented to the IMB members prior to approval, and items addressed may include, but not be limited to, the following topics:
- National Incorporation
- Means of financial support
- A plan for self sufficiency
- Church Planting
- Training of future Pastors and layleaders
- Leadership and accountability structure
The recommending of missionaries to other Mission Agencies may be an acceptable outcome after review of the formal plan presentation.
Approval for the above items must be given by the Annual Conference or by the General Committee.
1. General Director
The General Director shall be elected annually from within IMB membership.
a. The election shall be confirmed yearly by vote of the Annual Conference.
b. The office of General Director may be either a full-time or a part-time position, governed by IMB’s needs, financial status, and the availability of a qualified person.
c. Duties of General Director.
a) Take action appropriate to administer policies and directives of IMB.
b) Recommend policy to IMB.
c) Carry out special assignments of IMB.
d) Keep missionaries informed of all IMB policies and directives either personally or through appointed representatives.
e) Communicate with outgoing and incoming missionaries for orientation, information and debriefing.
f) Meet with missionaries in their fields of ministry as often as possible, offering counsel and encouragement as needed.
g) Keep IMB informed of changes to current status of each missionary.
h) Make arrangements for transfer or termination of missionaries, as directed by IMB.
i) Make regular communication with missionaries on leave of absence.
a) Compile semi-annual booklets for IMB members, which include agenda and field reports.
b) Represent IMB to other mission and denominational agencies.
c) Report to IMB regarding office-related activities.
d) Promote the work of IMB throughout the denomination and to other entities as opportunity permits.
e) Process all applicants for IMB endorsement.
f) Available to help coordinate itineraries for furloughing missionaries.
g) Handle IMB correspondence.
h) Keep up-to-date regarding all IMB assets, investments, and liabilities.
i) Forward all funds received for IMB to IMB treasurer.
j) Receive an honorarium or remuneration as designated by IMB.
k) Shall be bonded if he receives and disburses funds.
l) Call IMB Executive Committee meetings at his discretion.
m) Poll the IMB members between sessions for urgent decisions.
3) Hispanic Coordinator-related:
Shall be in communication with the Hispanic Coordinator monthly to discuss contacts, trips and plans.
2. The President
a. The President shall be elected annually from among the IMB members.
b. His election shall be confirmed yearly by vote of the Annual Conference.
c. Duties of the President:
1) Preside at sessions of IMB.
2) Be available to advise the General Director in the supervision of IMB’s missions program.
3) Call IMB Executive Committee meetings at his discretion.
4) Appoint suitable candidates to the IMB to fill vacancies occurring during the year. (re:I.A.3)
5) Appoint committees from among the members of IMB.
3. The Treasurer
a. The Treasurer shall be elected annually by the IMB and attend all board meetings.
b. The election must be confirmed yearly by vote of Annual Conference.
c. Duties of Treasurer:
1) Receive and disburse all IMB funds.
2) Keep a complete, accurate, and current record of all funds received and disbursed.
3) Report current financial status monthly to the IMB membership.
4) Submit complete financial report to IMB members semi-annually.
5) Reimburse IMB members for expenses incurred for IMB business.
6) Confer with General Director as necessary regarding any payment of funds which may be in question.
7) Receive an honorarium or remuneration as designated by IMB.
8) Shall be bonded, as per Annual Conference requirements.
9) Provide an annual auditor’s report to IMB.
4. The Assistant Treasurer
When the IMB deems desirable, an Assistant Treasurer will be appointed.
5. The Recording Secretary
a. The Recording Secretary shall be elected annually from among the IMB members.
b. The election must be confirmed yearly by vote of Annual Conference.
c. Duties of Recording Secretary:
1. Keep accurate minutes of each board meeting.
2. Distribute minutes to board members.
2. Maintains minutes in an orderly fashion of all previous meetings.
4. Sends official IMB correspondence when requested to do so by the board.
6. Hispanic Coordinator
a. Vision Statement - To expand the Kingdom of God and the Primitive Methodist Church as a global mission through the coordination of planting new churches and reaching families with God's principles.
b. Conference-appointed position with privilege of voice and vote on the IMB.
c. Duties related to the IMB:
1. Serves in an advisory capacity only.
2. Written reports monthly to IMB General Director concerning Hispanic works.
3. Liaison between the IMB and International Hispanic Church-planting efforts.
4. Assists General Director with communication between board and Hispanic missionaries and works.
7. General Board Members
a. Duties of General Board Members
1. Attend meetings.
2. Represent the IMB in their district.
3. Communicate with and encourage missionaries.
4. Willing to visit mission fields.
5. Respond to periodic communication from IMB leadership.
6. Assist IMB leadership when requested.
7. Seek to stay knowledgeable about current missionary trends.
SECTION II - CAREER MISSIONARY CANDIDATES
Candidates for career service must be members of a Primitive Methodist church prior to making application. Exceptions to this rule will be considered by IMB. Candidates must be 21 years of age by the time of commission. Candidates must have written recommendation from their quarterly conference and their district conference. All student minister candidates must have written recommendation from the School of Theology. All career candidates shall be subject to the Primitive Methodist Discipline. Additional requirements and procedures are included in the IMB Policy and Procedure Manual.